These irresistibly delicious and easy-to-assemble burgers can be shaped ahead of time and cooked off when you're ready to eat.
- 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 egg
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or granules
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive or canola oil
- 6 whole wheat hamburger buns
- 6 green leaf lettuce leaves
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Put beans in a large bowl and mash well with a fork. Add egg, yellow onion, bread crumbs, oregano, basil, garlic powder, salt, pepper and hot sauce. Mix well to combine then shape into 6 patties.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Arrange patties in a single layer (working in batches, if needed) and cook, flipping once, until golden brown on both sides and cooked through, about 10 minutes total. Transfer to buns, top with lettuce, tomatoes and red onions and serve.
Nutritional Info: Per Serving: 300 calories (50 from fat), 6g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 30mg cholesterol,410mg sodium, 51g carbohydrates, (10 g dietary fiber, 6g sugar), 12g protein.
Recipe courtesy of our Positive Power Partner: