I am all about simple and easy. This is a fantastic side or first-course salad, but it will transition easily to a main course with a scoop of fresh crabmeat or grilled shrimp. Choose tomatoes of different colors and sizes for best effect: yellow, green, purple or striped, and a mix of large and bite-size is ideal.
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pound mixed heirloom tomatoes, thinly sliced into rounds or quartered if small
- 2 small cucumbers, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
Place onion slices in a small bowl and cover with cold water; let soak 10 minutes. Drain, return to the bowl, and soak again for 10 minutes. Drain well and pat dry.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Add onion and cucumbers to the dressing and toss well. Arrange tomatoes on serving plates then evenly distribute onions, cucumbers and dressing. You can serve the salad immediately, or cover and refrigerate for a few hours.
Nutritional Info: Per Serving: 80 calories (60 from fat), 6g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 5mg sodium, 6gcarbohydrates, (2 g dietary fiber, 4g sugar), 1g protein.
Recipe courtesy of our Positive Power Partner: